Monday 2 November 2009

The cheesecake that went horridly wrong

Making a bad cheesecake is like getting fired from a job: humiliating and sad. Now although on the outside, this cheesecake looks like it should have been a little (or large- depending on who you are) slice of cheesy heaven. But when I cut into it at a recent family gathering, I knew already it was going to be a disaster. The knife went straight through, and with a good cheesecake, the knife should feel like it sticks a bit. I have been obsessed with trying to make regular recipes low fat (only because I enjoy the challenge more than anything) and took no exception with this cheesecake. I know this isn't where I went wrong. It was too eggy. Too many eggs made it light and fluffy... so I have revised the recipe:

16 digestive biscuits
1/3 cup butter (I used low fat marg)
750g cream cheese (I used low fat)
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
1/2 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F or gas mark 4

1) break the digestives into a blender with half of the walnuts and whizz until a fine crumb develops. Melt the butter in a pan and mix with the cookie and nut mixture. Press into the bottom of a spring board pan and put in the fridge for ten minutes.
2) In the blender whizz together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the maple syrup until a fine consistency is reached. The blend in the eggs one at a time until well mixed.
3) Pour the mixture into the set cookie base and bake for 45-50m or until a knife comes out clean and the cheesecake has cracked
4) Once cooled, pour the remaining 1/4 of maple syrup over top the cheesecake and decorate with the remainder of walnuts

See if this works for you better than the original worked for me. Long live the cheesecake!

No comments:

Post a Comment